Current:Home > FinanceLatest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds -Capitatum
Latest search for 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims ends with 3 more found with gunshot wounds
TradeEdge Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 03:10:03
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — The latest search for the remains of 1921 Tulsa Race Massacre victims has ended with three more sets containing gunshot wounds, investigators said.
The three are among 11 sets of remains exhumed during the latest excavation in Oaklawn Cemetery, state archaeologist Kary Stackelbeck said Friday.
“Two of those gunshot victims display evidence of munitions from two different weapons,” Stackelbeck said. “The third individual who is a gunshot victim also displays evidence of burning.”
Forensic anthropologist Phoebe Stubblefield, who will remain on site to examine the remains, said one victim suffered bullet and shotgun wounds while the second was shot with two different caliber bullets.
Searchers are seeking simple wooden caskets because they were described at the time in newspaper articles, death certificates and funeral home records as the type used for burying massacre victims, Stackelbeck has said.
The exhumed remains will then be sent to Intermountain Forensics in Salt Lake City for DNA and genealogical testing in an effort to identify them.
The search ends just over a month after the first identification of remains previously exhumed during the search for massacre victims were identified as World War I veteran C.L. Daniel from Georgia.
There was no sign of gunshot wounds to Daniel, Stubblefield said at the time, noting that if a bullet doesn’t strike bone and passes through the body, such a wound likely could not be determined after the passage of so many years.
The search is the fourth since Tulsa Mayor G.T. Bynum launched the project in 2018 and 47 remains have now been exhumed.
Bynum, who is not seeking reelection, said he hopes to see the search for victims continue.
“My hope is, regardless of who the next mayor is, that they see how important it is to see this investigation through,” Bynum said. “It’s all part of that sequence that is necessary for us to ultimately find people who were murdered and hidden over a century ago.”
Stackelbeck said investigators are mapping the graves in an effort to determine whether more searches should be conducted.
“Every year we have built on the previous phase of this investigation. Our cumulative data have confirmed that we are finding individuals who fit the profile of massacre victims,” Stackelbeck said.
“We will be taking all of that information into consideration as we make our recommendations about whether there is cause for additional excavations,” said Stackelbeck.
Brenda Nails-Alford, a descendant of massacre survivors and a member of the committee overseeing the search for victims, said she is grateful for Bynum’s efforts to find victim’s remains.
“It is my prayer that these efforts continue, to bring more justice and healing to those who were lost and to those families in our community,” Nails-Alford said.
Earlier this month, Bynum and City Councilor Vanessa Hall-Harper announced a new committee to study a variety of possible reparations for survivors and descendants of the massacre and for the area of north Tulsa where it occurred.
The massacre took place over two days in 1921, a long-suppressed episode of racial violence that destroyed a community known as Black Wall Street and ended with as many as 300 Black people killed, thousands of Black residents forced into internment camps overseen by the National Guard and more than 1,200 homes, businesses, schools and churches destroyed.
veryGood! (36224)
Related
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- A school reunion for Albert Brooks and Rob Reiner
- A number away from $137 million, Michigan man instead wins $1 million in Mega Millions game
- Pierce Brosnan is in hot water, accused of trespassing in a Yellowstone thermal area
- Michigan lawmaker who was arrested in June loses reelection bid in Republican primary
- North Carolina retiree fatally struck by U.S. Postal Service truck, police say
- These twins are taking steps for foster kids − big steps. They're walking across America.
- A rebel group in the Indian state of Assam signs a peace accord with the government
- Judge says Mexican ex-official tried to bribe inmates in a bid for new US drug trial
- From glacier babies to a Barbie debate: 7 great global stories you might have missed
Ranking
- FBI: California woman brought sword, whip and other weapons into Capitol during Jan. 6 riot
- New lawsuit claims Jermaine Jackson sexually assaulted woman, Berry Gordy assisted in 'cover-up'
- Woman sues dentist after 4 root canals, 8 dental crowns and 20 fillings in a single visit
- Massive building fire temporarily shuts down interstate highway in Louisville, Kentucky
- From bitter rivals to Olympic teammates, how Lebron and Steph Curry became friends
- New Year's Eve partiers paying up to $12,500 to ring in 2024 at Times Square locations of chain restaurants
- Learning to love to draw with Commander Mark, the Bob Ross of drawing
- Trump back on ballot in Colorado while state Republicans appeal ban to Supreme Court
Recommendation
Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
Parasite actor Lee Sun-kyun found dead in South Korea, officials say
AP Week in Pictures: Asia
Russell Wilson and Sean Payton were Broncos' forced marriage – and it finally unraveled
British swimmer Adam Peaty: There are worms in the food at Paris Olympic Village
Wawa moving into Georgia as convenience store chains expands: See the locations
Mom says pregnant Texas teen found shot to death with boyfriend was just there at the wrong time
AP Week in Pictures: Asia